Choosing a business name
Choosing a domain name or a business name is integral. It is what you will be known for and it is the name that people will search for to find your business in directories and on Google. Make it count, be specific and ensure it aligns with your intentions.
Now a company with a significant marketing budget can choose business names that are unique and sometimes these companies will use names that are non specific to the business or product. They can afford to do so as they can align their marketing budget with their brand and do what it takes. Non specific names can be hard to initially promote unless you have a specific market niche or budget.
For example: Apple, Exxon, Sony, Wendy’s, McDonalds and others (Would you know what these businesses do just by the name if they did not market to you?)
For others whom will rely on google, word by mouth and general searches will need to choose a more specific name for their business and make sure they are listed by category in relevant directories.
For example: Online Coaching Australia, Bobs Carpets, Jonno’s Window Cleaning, and others (These names are more specific to the target niche as the name includes key words)
Here are my biggest tips:
- Make sure a domain name for your website is available before you finalise and register your business name.
- Make sure to check the registered business name registry in your specific country to make sure no one has registered the name.
- Make sure to park all relevant domain names such as .com, .com.au .org or as relevant to the country you live in and your business type.
- Also check that Facebook has a relevant page and group name available so do a quick search to see who is doing what and if names are available.
- Choose the TOP key words relevant for your business, service or product and write them all down.
- Do a brainstorm of names based on the key words and/or a branding vision.
- Share your top ten names with a close ‘creative’ friend for feedback however always go with your gut instinct and always be the one to choose the name.
- Do not choose a name similar to an existing major company as that is a legal battle waiting to happen.
- Think about a logo, a motif or moniker that will align with the name and support your market niche and marketing vision.
The thing with a name is that no matter what you do, if your service, your product, your authenticity, your content, your marketing plan and your operating systems are in place and you are consistent and persevere you will always fair better than those who do not.
Live with passion.
I have numerous businesses however here is an example of my thought process for my online coaching business.
I chose Online Coaching Australia over Your Dream Builder, #betterLIFE Project and other names because the three key words are the highest ranking words for my niche in Google and it also allows my platform to host a variety of coaching programs rather than focusing on one.
This was a choice made for the future and growth.
Online – I wanted an online coaching business and for those looking for online would enter this into Google
Coaching – I wanted a coaching business with a variety of programs so I chose a general term for development.
Australia – I live in Australia and that is my initial target although I am supporting numerous people from overseas. People tend to use their country or area in Google searches.
I also checked the domain names and Australian business register and found that this name, to my surprise, was available so I ran with it. It made sense to me and I am happy with the decision.
The money tree is a symbol of growth, fortune and development.
I wish you luck with your name and go with your gut and if you want to run a business name by me I am happy to provide feedback at any time.
Maybe you want more?
- Establish your vision, mission, attitude and commitment?
- Learn the 5 secrets to direction?
- Learn the top 26 key attributes of a successful person?
- Learn the 7 pillars of awareness that breeds success?
- Learn the 14 habits of sustainable adaption that will launch you to success and keep you there?
- Follow Facebook – Sebastian Jago Coach Page
- Follow Facebook #2 – OCA Official Facebook Page
- Follow Youtube – FitnessSecretsTV
- Follow Instagram – coach_sabby_j
- Follow Instagram – betterlife_project
Fill in the form below and book your clarity session with Sebastian.